Photograph of Camp Comfort, Christiansburg

Title

Photograph of Camp Comfort, Christiansburg

Subject

Christiansburg (Va.)--History.

Description

Photograph of Camp Comfort, which was located near the intersection of Radford Road and College Street in Christiansburg. It opened in 1928 and was one of the first motor courts to be built in the county. It was constructed by Morris C. Miller. The motel offered an Esso Service Station and a café as well as small motorist cabins. All the buildings featured rustic-style exposed bark siding. The sign on the café reads: “Cabins – Meals, Camp Comfort Tourist Camp Ground.” The window ads offer ice cream, sandwiches, and soft drinks for 5 cents. A sign posted above the windows offers “Fresh Buttermilk.” The café building burned in 1936 and was replaced.

Publisher

Montgomery Museum & Lewis Miller Regional Art Center

Date

c.1925

Rights

All Rights Reserved. Please contact the Montgomery Museum & Lewis Miller Regional Art Center for permission to reproduce this item. Donated to the Montgomery Museum by Josh Phillips in 2011.

Format

.jpg

Language

English

Type

Still Image

Identifier

2011.14.03

Coverage

Christiansburg
Montgomery County
VA

Files

2011.14.03_web.jpg

Citation

“Photograph of Camp Comfort, Christiansburg,” Montgomery County Memory Online, accessed June 27, 2017, http://montgomerymuseum.omeka.net/items/show/105.

Social Bookmarking